Sunday, March 2, 2014

Gold Stars for Everyone!

"Turning 'They' Into 'We'", has reached many more than I could have anticipated. So many gold stars!!! When I sat down and committed to writing and sharing that post, I had only three intentions...
1. Self liberation.
2. Inspiration.
3. Awareness.
I have received many posts, messages, tweets, texts, and phone calls from friends and strangers alike, thanking me for my bravery and offering mounds of support.  My heart is warmed from the overwhelmingly positive and encouraging words. In responding to the feedback I have received, I have often struggled with whether or not "thank you" is the appropriate wording for what I wish to convey. While I am very thankful for the love and support, I also stand very aware that I could have never made the decision to share this on my own.

 I stayed in the closet for a long time because it was safe.  As long as the people around me "knew about me", it was fine because the rest was really no ones business. But, the more I started to see other people come out, the more I felt the pull from within myself. And while living in the closet may have felt safer, let me tell you, it was not easy.  Which leads back to my struggle with "thank you".  That struggle comes as a result of my realizing that there were so many other things and people that played a part in helping me get to this comfortable place- it feels selfish to just say "thank you", as if I did this on my own. So, I am going to go out on a limb here and share some of those thank you's I have received...

Family: You love me, and I could not ask for more. I know you are always there for me and I count myself fortunate as I know there are many in my shoes who cannot say the same.
Friends: Thank you to those of you who have stood by me, but never pushed me. There are times that you need your friends to push you, but out of the closet is not one of those times. Patience, support and understanding-thank you for all of that.
YouTube: Man...who knew what a resource this thing could be??? You don't see many LGBTQ folks/characters on mainstream television...no worries, there's an app for that. Thanks, YouTube!
Internet/Search Engines: Not sure how to come out? Want to find MORE stuff on YouTube? Want to know more about the LGBTQ community? Well...you better have hours of time available and be ready to have your mind blown. Yep. Thank you, Internet. You have consumed much of my spare time and I'm not even mad about it.
The L-Word: You made me feel like I should move to LA. In fact, I tried, but as you can see, I'm still living it up in good ole' Kentucky. I believe I may have some work to do here, but thank you for providing me with the 47 minute getaways- I needed those.
Ellen Page's Coming Out Speech: Ellen Page shared the burden that she carried in watching those around her be strong and stand up and fight for change, but not doing that for herself sooner. Listening to her speech, I was able to relate on so many levels. But this is what really hit me: "I am tired of lying by omission..." Girl, what?!  For real! Lying by omission and using non-descript pronouns...that gets really old, really quick.
The LGBTQ Community: Thank YOU.  I have heard people say things like, "it seems like everyone is gay now". It's not that everyone is gay now... We've been gay. We've been here. We're just speaking up now. What I am doing, is nothing new. I am only ONE of many. We walk the line of being the one who runs up and down the street, waving the rainbow flag, and being the one who lives our life as we always have because our sexuality does not change who we are. No matter if you walk the line or choose a side, thank you.
My Berea Folks: Two words- YOU ROCK.
My Pageantland People: To all of my supporters and those of you who spotted me from the jump, you have a very special place in my heart. And, for those who have wondered if we are ready for a gay Miss State or Miss America, let me just say...we better be, because it won't be long! Also...Miss America c/o 2011, one word- AMAZING. Love you ladies!

Thank you, again... Everyone.
Peace✌️ Love❤️ and Gold Stars🌟




10 comments:

  1. Djuan you were, and continue to be, wonderful and beautiful in so many ways, before and after your announcement. Continue to be your own package of awesomeness to the world around you... Your honesty and bravery in this moment can and will help all of us at some point, now or in the future, come out of our unique and various "closets"... Thank you for that <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tasha :) My mom and I were talking the other day about "closets"... We all have closets that we hide in- doesn't just have to be about your sexuality. Thanks again :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr voodoo cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr voodoo the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348140120719 or email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr voodoo that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WHATSAPP +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. Ellen Page's "I'm tired of lying by omission" really hit home for me too. Her and the other women who have come out recently (and that list now includes you!) fuel my inspiration as I continue to work my way towards the closet door. Thank you.

    ~~~~
    http://SoNotStraight.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Djuan - I'm a middle-aged straight woman from Mississippi who has been working overseas for the last six years. I am currently serving in a country where it is illegal to be gay. I see a lot of parallels between some of these countries and my home state - and I'm sure yours also, even though Kentucky appears to be more progressive than MS. In any event, I'm very proud of you for doing this. I've worked with LGBT youth on this side of the big pond, and they are some amazing and brave kids. When more high-profile people speak out and come out, it gives them more strength to do the same. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Djuan, we have never met but you should know that as a fellow "former" I support you whole-heartedly. I applaud your courage on many levels, and hope that you have not only paved the way for other contestants, but brought yourself true happiness and peace. Bravo!
    Robbin Wasson, Miss Kansas 1991

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas from SWEDEN about a spell caster named Dr. Okosun. I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. Okosun helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. OKosun for help. Dr. Okosun assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. Okosun did for me. Contact him today via E-mail:(Okosunspelltemple33@gmail.com call him or whatsapp him +2348133974847 if you seek his help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our simple life, love plays a very specific role. Now we are able to make your love life healthy and no space for any type of trouble. These all are possible with the help of Dr. EKPEN of SOLUTION TEMPLE. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back within 48hours who left me for another woman. You can also contact him on (EKPENTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM) and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. Thank you Dr OSELUMEN  for saving my broken Marriage. Dr. OSELUMEN is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. Email him today. Email him: droselumen@gmail.com   or Call or text him on WhatsApp: +2348054265852  .. .......    He can also perform the following spell below 1. Lottery spell ......2 Good luck spell........3. Spell to win case in court.......4. pregnancy spell  ........5. Death spell......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete